About Me

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Refining My Palate

It is interesting how your tastes change as you get older. Lately I have really been expanding my food horizons. One of the most noticeable changes is my newly discovered passion for chocolate. I was never much of a chocolate fan. I liked it in things...cookies, candy bars, but never by itself. Well, lately I crave chocolate, and not just any chocolate it has to be dark...the darker the better. I am still trying to eat healthy so I'm not binging on chocolate or anything but a little piece of dark chocolate makes me unbelievably happy! My friend Maria introduced me to this dark chocolate from the local health store called Dagoba.....it is sooooo good! My favorites are the Chocolate and Lavender Bar and the Chocolate with Rosemary and mint. I have also fallen in love with Ginger... My friend Ethel brought me some Ginger and Lemon Scones from Trader Joe's and I immediately fell in love with them.
Another change in my diet is that I refuse to buy anything with Trans Fats or High Fructose Corn Syrup. This can be very challenging because EVERYTHING is made with these two ingredients. Especially the High Fructose Corn Syrup. I try to buy a lot of organic stuff, but it is getting harder to do this because the cost of food is getting out of control. It does not seem fair that the cheapest food is the food that is the most unhealthy.

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

I try to avoid trans fats and high fructose corn syrup too. It's not fair that almost all yogurts have high fructose corn syrup. Yogurt is supposed to be healthy! Cereals are a hard one too. Even cereals you typical think are healthier have it. It's funny,my kids have started looking for those ingredients too. If they find something in the house that has it, they'll point it out. We call them the evil death foods.

jenny said...

i hear ya! i wish heathy things were cheaper...

Tina said...

I hear ya sister! It sucks that if you're poor you can't afford to eat healthy. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! Lol. Just kidding.